This speciality is concerned with the correction of disproportions of face, jaws and alignment of teeth both in children as well as in adults and to improve their aesthetics, smile, oral health and function. The department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics is a state of the art department known for its infrastructure and excellence in learning, patient care and research in the field of Orthodontics. The post graduate programme in the speciality was established in 2010.
- Show continuous progress towards innovative, student centric methods of teaching
- Train students in basic to contemporary orthodontic approaches including lingual and other invisible orthodontics techniques.
The main focus is to train students in acquiring self assisted lifelong learning skills. Globally accepted student – centric innovative methods of teaching are used to train the students and help them in facing examinations at national and international levels.
Research Work done till Date
Undergraduates and Post graduates are trained in different approaches to preventive, interceptive, corrective and surgical treatment modalities and the department has always strived to teach beyond the syllabus, keeping at par with the current research fields. Seminar presentations, journal discussions, table clinics and case discussions with patient are conducted on a weekly basis for post graduate students with audiovisual facilities. Along with routine theory classes, case discussions, demonstrations and end posting exams are conducted for undergraduate students.
Conference and CDEs
Dr. Shashi Kiran
- Attended 52nd INDIAN ORTHOPDONTIC CONFERENCE at Jaipur on Nov 17 to 19th 2017
- Attended 49th INDIAN ORTHODONTIC CONFERENCE at Kolkatta on Nov 21-23 2014
- Attended A to Z in orthodontics Mar 19-21, 2018 by Sree Sankara Dental College, Varkala, Trivandrum
- Attended IOS orthodontic convention by department of orthodontics and dentofacial orthopaedics, Amrita School of Dentistry and Chaired Scienticfic session on 3rd-5th Aug 2017.
- Attended course on MBT mechanics by TOSG(IOS) on 29th & 30th Jan 2017 at Residency towers, Trivandrum
- Attended surgical MBT treatment mechanics course by Pushpagiri college of dental sciences, Thiruvalla on Aug 2nd-4th, 2016.
- Attended global symposium on orthodontic advances on Aug 10th-13th ,2015 for 28 class hours by NEWYORK UNIVERSITY/ College of dentistry
Dr. Amal S. Nair
- Attended IOS conference – Mangalore , 2012
- Attended PG convention – Mangalore, 2013
- Attended hands-on course on advanced MBT technique by Dr. Sadashiva Shetty – Bapuji Dental College, Davengere
- Attended hands-on course on Refined Begg conducted by Dr. V. P. Jayade – Dharwad
- Attended hands-on course on Lingual orthodontics by Dr. Rafi Romano – Mumbai
- Attended hands-on course on self drilling TAD by DR Gurkeerat Singh – Trivandrum
- Attended hands-on course on edgewise wire bending by Dr. Ashok Kumar Jena – Trivandrum
- Paper presentation done on IOS conference on Tandem traction bow appliance –A case report
Dr. Anna Oommen
- Attended hands-on course on Self ligating bracket system – Trivandrum, 2017
Dr. Antony Shijoy Amal Das
- Attended World conference on Cleft lip Palate – Chennai, 2016
Dr. Davis T. Danny
- Attended 52nd INDIAN ORTHOPDONTIC CONFERENCE – Jaipur, 2017
Dr. Anjana S. Nair
- Attended 49th Kerala State Conference – Kottayam, 2017
- Attended CDE program on Growth modulation strategies of skeletal malocclusions – PMS Dental College, Trivandrum