The department provides training to undergraduate students in developing skills in the following domains: assessment of oral health needs of people, undertaking research, providing basic dental treatment with thrust on prevention of oral diseases, oral health promotion,and improving dental health of population through health education programmes, tobacco cessation, ethics and an overview of publichealth.The department engages local community leaders, and institutional or organizational heads as partners of oral healthcare delivery. The department has a satellite clinic at Marapady where cost effective dental treatment is provided.The Health education wing of the department highlights the various treatment modalities with stress on prevention. Outreach programmes are conducted on a regular basis.
- To provide critical knowledge and understanding of public health dentistry
- To develop students understanding of the major oral health problems of community
- To equip students with the ability to critically analyze dental public health problems and develop practical solutions to protect and promote the oral health for the community To enable students to understand and undertake health services research and to apply key findings into dental public health practice
- Apply basic sciences knowledge regarding etiology, diagnosis and management of all the oral conditions at the individual and community level Identify social, economic, environmental and emotional determinants in a given individual patient or a community for the purpose of planning and execution of community oral health programme.
- Ability to conduct oral health surveys in order to identify all the oral health problems affecting the community and find solutions using multi-disciplinary approach.
- Ability to act as a consultant in Community Oral Health and take part in research (both basic and clinical), present and publish the outcome at various scientific conferences and journals, both national and international.
Undergraduates are sensitized to the principles of research methodology. Interns are encouraged to take up research activities, present and publish scientific papers. Faculty is involved in active research and also serves as resource personnels.
- To instill human values and have better grasp of ethical principles, “Case Studies” are taken up for discussion with students along with routine academic work.
- Preparation of Health education aids is a vital part of the practical curriculum.
- Field visits are undertaken for the students to get a grasp of ground realities.
- Certificate Course on Tobacco Control for Interns has been initiated as a part of anti-tobacco activities of the Institution.
- Days of Public Health importance are observed.
Conferences and CDEs
The department along with Academic forum, conducts Continuing Dental Education Programmes for Faculty, Post Graduates and Undergraduates on regular basis.